Audio output bitrate adjustment and repeated bug report

Jason Mancini jayrusman at hotmail.com
Mon Jun 18 15:24:59 CEST 2001

Hello,
My friend and I were discussing videolan, and it seems
as if the audio tracks the video, or that there is a
central clock that the audio and video track.  We both
think the audio should be the master clock.  The audio
should _never_ bend/pitch/skip.  Video glitches are much
less disturbing...

Also, is there a way to either delay the audio or video
by X milliseconds?

Regards,
Jason

----Original Message Follows----
From: Michel LESPINASSE <walken at zoy.org>

On Fri, Jun 15, 2001 at 08:54:06PM +0200, Peter Surda wrote:
 > I noticed that when playing certain DVD the sound is distorted. After I
 > reencoded the track into divx (audio into 48 kHz mp3) and played that
back
 > with aviplay, I discovered that when I force output to 44.1, I get
similar
 > distortion. However if I don't force reencoding and let the output be 48,
it
 > sounds ok. So hence the question: can I somehow tell vlc that the audio
 > decoder should output 48kHz sound and not 44.1 (what I think is the
current
 > state)?

linear interpolation between two consecutive samples, like vlc
currently does, does introduce audio artefacts. If you have a good
track to put that in evidence, I'd like to get it :)

The solution would be to use a sinc-shaped interpolation curve. See
http://www-ccrma.stanford.edu/~jos/resample/resample.html for more details.

Regards,

--
Michel "Walken" LESPINASSE
Of course I think I'm right. If I thought I was wrong, I'd change my mind.