Mac OS X ...

Eugenio Jarosiewicz ej0 at cise.ufl.edu
Tue Oct 2 01:10:18 CEST 2001

On Sun, 30 Sep 2001, Florian G. Pflug wrote:

> On Sat, Sep 29, 2001 at 11:13:57PM -0400, Eugenio Jarosiewicz wrote:
>
> > Also, I'm wondering if we could figure out how to use the DVD
> > framework?  (in /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks) .  It looks like
> > they are tied into / use services of CoreGraphics & IOKit directly.
>
> If your g3 has a DVD-Drive, i guess you also have an ati-card (rage 128)
> with this DVD-Addon-Module.
>
> If you search the IORegistryExplorer, you find some indices that there is
> some kernel-support for this addon-board in 10.1 (e.g. there is a key/value
> pair "IODVDBundleName => ATIRage128DVDDriver)

So I finally got back to another machine to check, and this registry
entry exists on a G4 Cube w/ DVD which doesn't have the decoder card.
I think that the ATIRage128DVDDriver is just support for DVD
acceleration on Rage128 cards (the next key in the registry is an
IOMatchCategory with a String value of IOAccelerator).

> I guess this could be the kernel-support for the DVD-Framework
> I wonder if one could use this support easily - since most people owning a
> g3 with dvd-drive will likley also have this addon-board.

Right, it is kernel-support for the DVD-framekwork, but not
specifically for ppl with the dvd decoder card, which is even better.
I think it's certainly possible, but not sure how difficult it will
be.

-ej

--
Eugenio Jarosiewicz	  ej0 at cise.ufl.edu	http://www.cise.ufl.edu/~ej0