0.4.4 has picture but no sound

David Mills djm at cs.mu.oz.au
Fri Aug 30 02:59:34 CEST 2002

Hi,

I downloaded vlc 0.4.4 for both Windows and Linux.  The windows version works
fine on WindowsXP.  The linux version gives me a picture but no sound.  I get
the following message on the command line:

> ./vlc
VideoLAN Client - version 0.4.4_2002-08-30 Ourumov - (c) 1996-2002 VideoLAN

libdvdcss error: ioctl_ReadTitleKey failed
aout error: can't open audio device (/dev/dsp)
aout error: no suitable aout module

I'm running a Dell Inspiron 8200 with a GeForce4 video card and a Cirrus Login
82801CA audio card.

Is it just a matter of configuring the dsp device better.  I can't find any
help on this in the HOWTOs.

Thanks,

David.