Possible developments.

Laurent Aimar fenrir at via.ecp.fr
Wed Jun 26 16:29:35 CEST 2002

I have some informations, hope this help.

On Wed, Jun 26, 2002, The DJ wrote:
> - .mov file support. -> Based on one of these?
> - .mp4 file support.

    These formats are very very close. (Just some little differences in
some fourcc)

> - ASF support.
    There are some problems :
      - it often uses ms audio codec ( sometimes named wma but it's wrong )
      - it can use its own video codec, ffmpeg supports version 1 but not (yet?) 2.

> - WMA support -> Maybe a port of this XMMS plugin?
> http://sourceforge.net/projects/my-xmms-plugs/
 What does wma mean for you, file format or the audio codec used in it ?
For the file format it's just a .asf file. But I have never seen an
implementation of the audio codec. ( mplayer uses win32 library to
support it, I don't know about xmms ).

> - Real support. A bit tough. v1 is available somewhere. Libavcodec, so then
> we already support it trough ffmpeg?

 We first have to support their file format (.rm). Just have a look
at libav in ffmpeg, I think it's not so difficult .

> - Sorenson support. Same story. No opensource solution that I know of.

 I see in ffmpeg mailing list they are about to implement it( using new
xine code). It's a h263 variant ( encrypted header by xor and some bytes
swapped, and replaced DCT by recursive VQ, and used YVU9 instead of
YV12).

> - AAC support.

 I've seen faac, it's opensource but I don't know if it's GPL.

--
fenrir