[rfc] Getting rid of intf_WarnMsg

Samuel Hocevar sam at zoy.org
Sat May 4 12:13:20 CEST 2002

On Fri, May 03, 2002, Christophe Massiot wrote:

> Yeah I guess we have at least two very different uses of intf_WarnMsg :
> - warning messages about the behavior of the application (« late
> picture trashed »)
> - informational messages (« audio ES #3 is French »)

   That's what I figured out, and I thought that intf_WarnMsg was very
misleading for the latter use. They weren't really warning messages,
after all. Hence the proposal to split intf_WarnMsg into msg_Warn and
msg_Info.

> The latter is quite close to statistics messages (« input thread took
> 57 cycles »), and maybe they could be merged.

   Agreed.

> The former may itself be split in two categories :
> - important events which _will have_ non-fatal repercussions on the
> quality of viewing (« late picture trashed »)
> - Inconsistent behavior which _may have_ consequences on the playing,
> but most probably it will go unnoticed (« no picture buffer
> available, delaying decoding »)

   This makes sense to me but I was hoping these two categories could
be all distributed between Warning, Info and Error whithout having to
bother with warning levels. I'll try to sort all the vlc messages and
see if any doesn't fit.

Grüt,
--
Sam.