[vlc-devel] Re: version OSX

Gildas Bazin gbazin at netcourrier.com
Wed Nov 27 11:16:36 CET 2002

On Wednesday 27 November 2002 10:55, Christophe Massiot wrote:
> Hello,
>
> [vlc-devel is in English]
>
> On Tue, Nov 26, 2002, DAVOINE Jérôme wrote:
>
> > Bonjour et félicitations pour ce projet que je trouve excellent,
> >
> > J'aurais aimé savoir si vous seriez interessés par un rendu OpenGL pour
la
> > version OSX de VLC (code probablement portable) ?
> > Comme ça je pourrais apporter une modeste contribution à VLC ;)
>
> [about OpenGL rendering for Mac OS X]
>
> Well if you have time to code that, why not. I heard Apple added in X.2
> a function to do YUV rendering with OpenGL. However, I doubt it would be
> faster than the method we currently use, since we already take advantage
> of the 3D chip via QuickTime. But maybe it has other advantages.

AFAIK YUV rendering is not part of the OpenGL1.4 specification so using this
will likely make the code non-portable.
Any portable code will have to use the RGB colorspace resulting in not so
good performance for video display... although an OpenGL video outupt
plugin could be fun to have as it will make possible some neat and funky
effects ;)

--
Gildas