[vlc-devel] More VLC questions -- decoding

j.zorko at att.net j.zorko at att.net
Tue Apr 29 01:06:31 CEST 2003

Hello, all ...

OK, i've found where VLC does the GOP detection, and managed to follow that all the way up to
input_SetStatus( ..., INPUT_STATUS_PLAY ).  This includes input_SelectES(), input_SetProgram(), all
that stuff.

However, this code is only exercised by a VLC instance decoding / playing a stream, not by a VLC
instance that is merely sending a stream out (which is what we're doing).  I'm still not sure where
in the code the decoder module is loaded, and i'm not sure if merely loading it will make all sorts
of other stuff happen that I don't want i.e. playback on the 'server' VLC.

Basically, on the VLC acting as the stream server, I need to be able to seek to the next / previous I-
frame / GOP / MP3 frame.  Yet, VLCs acting as servers don't load the decoder module (though I
don't know where this not-loading is not-done yet <grin>) so they have no clue what an I-frame /
GOP / MP3 frame is, much less how to find one.  I know this is all C, but I want to be as true as
possible to the original intent and interfaces here i.e. I don't want to introduce some complete
hack.

Thoughts?  Is there a way I can do this and still respect myself in the morning?

Regards,

John

--
Falling You - exploring the beauty