[vlc-devel] Re: Navigation to VCD via vcdinfo/libcdio

R. Bernstein rocky at panix.com
Fri Aug 22 09:13:27 CEST 2003

Sigmund Augdal writes:
 > Your work did include a cd audio reader as well?

Yes.

 > How is this performance
 > comared to the current cdda module? Currently playing cdda on my system
 > takes about 10-15% cpu, while playing i.e. dvd takes about 6%.

I honestly haven't checked, and right now it is not that great a
concern of mine. If it is for you and you want to work on it, I think
you'll have better framework to do so.

 > And how about autodetection? The current system have some difficulities with
 > autodetecting whether the current disc is audio cd, vcd or something
 > completly different. cd's with data on the first track and audio on the
 > others starts playing the data and makes a lot of noice. Do you fix these
 > problems as well?

To paraphrase one of the past U.S. Presidents, "Ask not what this
plugin can do for you, but what you do for your fellow users of it."

The next release of libcdio 0.6.3 (or the current CVS version)
contains a routine called cdio_guess_cd_type() which will do an
analysis of the CD or disk CD image. The sample utility in libcdio
called cd-info, calls and uses the information from this to tell you
if something is an audio CD (all audio tracks), a VCD, photo CD,
something with XA tracks and an ISO 9660 filesystem, etc.

How one would make use of this in vlc, is beyond me. I'm still just
getting past the part where I can have the VCD and CD-DA plugins
coexist with the existing plugins.