[vlc-devel] Re: [RFC] + Re: Re: libcddb added, playlist interface - disappointing

R. Bernstein rocky at panix.com
Mon Dec 1 03:25:13 CET 2003

Derk-Jan Hartman writes:
 > I agree on this approach. It seems way more logical to store
 > information concerning a file in a structure that is part of a
 > playlistitem then to store it at the input level.

In the first sentence I thought you agree with Sigmund (as I do). But
from the rest I infer you think along the lines of Zorglub.

Playlist items can span many physical media whereas the stream and
"File" info must refer to the currently running one. (Instead of "File
info", I prefer "Media Info"). And in the playlist window right now,
there is no section for global or media-specific info. This could be
rectified, but someone needs to do the work.

I suggest that another place that one might consider showing global
media information might be in the "Open target" window. In this window
when you click on the "File" tab you see a list of directory and file
names. Why not allow when you "browse" on a CD-DA or VCD, seeing a
list of things (actually I was thinking MRLs) that constitute the CD.
For the directory information one could give the media type (CD-DA,
VCD, ISO-9660 filesystem) and some media information like title of CD.

Or one could show the media information down on the bottom of the
control panel where the MRL is shown.

There are a number of possibilities, alas only the Media Info window
of wxwindows works right now and without too much hassle.