[vlc-devel] Re: HDTV Video File

Jean-Paul Saman jpsaman at wxs.nl
Wed Feb 26 20:46:35 CET 2003

Anatoly R. wrote:
> Hello Jean-Paul,
>
> Wednesday, February 26, 2003, 8:43:54 PM, you wrote:
>
> JPS> Write a tool that corrects the file, PTS and PCR's and probably the
> JPS> payload_start_unit_indicator (get a MPEG spec ;-))
>
> Thanks for the suggestion, it's obvious.
> I would do it myself and contribute to the project, but I never have
> any free time - work and real life never leave anything.
>
> I was thinking that if some other program does play it and something
> generates it, that would mean some problem on your side.

Not necessary. It could mean the writer and the reader both do it wrong
= not according to specifications.

The DVB-0.4.9 driver had a bug with payload_start_unit_indicator when
generating TS from PS source (a Hauppage DVB-S card). This was the
drivers fault. My point here is that there are more applications in the
chain that could do something that is not according to spec, but still
work because they come from the same vendor.

The hard part is tracking down which applications does what wrong!

> Seems that I will have to find some tool which can work with MPEG2 and
> fix this... Any clues?

Do a google:// search for "Linux Mpeg2 " ...

Greetings,
Jean-Paul Saman.