[vlc-devel] Re: Using vlc as a component in another OS X app

Christophe Massiot massiot at via.ecp.fr
Wed Jan 1 15:45:13 CET 2003

At 21:47 +1000 1/01/2003, Greg Hulands wrote :

>I am looking at adding a DVD player component to my application
>framework and stumbled across vlc.

I suppose you are aware that VLC is under the GNU GPL, which implies
that if you use it in your application and redistribute it, your
application must be under a GPL-compatible license as well.

>I have looked over the source for os x and make the following
>observations: (please correct me if i'm wrong)
>1. When opening a dvd it spawns a VLCWindow which contains a VLCView.
>
>In my application I would not be able to have a VLCWindow because of
>the architecture of the application - it only has one window with
>the notion of screens which navigate to other screens. I would be
>able to add a VLCView to the view heirarchy by making it the same
>size as the ScreenView class, so that VLCView can take the whole
>window.
>
>2. In both the wrapper classes, I cannot find the p_main
>declaration. Can someone please explain this to me.

p_main is declared in include/main.h. However I understand from your
question that you are using VLC 0.4.6, which will be phased out soon.
I suggest that you use the CVS version of VLC (0.5.0), which features
a full rewrite of the OS X interface.

>Questions:
>1. Is it possible to just use the VLCView and not a VLCWindow in my
>application?

I don't believe it's possible without hacking into the code.

>2. Can vlc be made as a framework that can be linked into my
>application? It would be good to have it as a framework, so my code
>is separated from vlc.

We have a project called libvlc which in the end should allow you to
do that, but I fear it isn't advanced enough yet.

--
Christophe Massiot.