[vlc-devel] Re: configure script hangs on Win2000 with MSys

Gildas Bazin gbazin at netcourrier.com
Tue Mar 4 03:06:17 CET 2003

On Monday 03 March 2003 22:52, jon wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm trying to compile vlc 0.5.1 on a Win2000 machine.
> I have msys and mingw32 installed and I can
> compile other stuff (libdvdcss, mad, etc) with no
> problems.
>
> When I run ./configure, it seems to hang when
> its creating Makefile.  Sometimes, Makefile is
> created, but it will hang trying while creating
> debian/Makefile.
>
> last few lines of configure output is:
>     configure: creating ./config.status
>     config.status: creating Makefile
>     <it "hangs" here>
>
> I've tried this on 2 different computers (both Win2k) and
> i've tried it using MSYS 1.0.7 with MinGW 1.1 and also
> with MSYS 1.0.8 with MinGW 2.0.0-3
>
> In all cases I get the same problem.  I'm very new to
> using msys and mingw so maybe I'm missing something?
> However, I can compile other projects just fine.

There seems to be a bug in msys
(http://www.via.ecp.fr/via/ml/vlc-devel/200212/msg00218.html).
This problem can be solved as explained in the mail but this still renders
msys quite inapropriate to compile vlc.
I don't know if the problem has been solved in newer version of msys because
I'm now using cygwin excusively when I compile vlc under windows and I
would advise you to do the same.

Hope this helps,

--
Gildas