[vlc-devel] Re: Network dialog box

Eric Petit titer at videolan.org
Fri Mar 7 17:47:18 CET 2003

On Fri, Mar 07, 2003, Alexis de Lattre wrote:
> For the "Open" dialog box, "Network" tab, we would like to have the
> possibility to select the new channel information services supported
> (SLP and SAP-SDP) :
> [snip]
>
> Then we would document SLP or SAP-SDP as the channel information service
> for the VideoLAN solution in the VideoLAN Quickstart and in the new
> VideoLAN HOWTO (that we hope to release soon...)

 Currently, the SAP and SLP modules have a different behaviour: SAP
runs in a separate thread (like an interface) while SLP runs only at
start up (if you entered 'vlc slp:').

 IMHO, the SAP way is quite better because 1) the SLP module currently
hangs VLC until it gets the channels list and 2) if the module keeps
running in its thread, it can regularly refresh the list with new
channels.

 What I suggest is to modify the SLP module so it becomes an interface,
then add a way to lauch SAP and/or SLP interface(s) on the fly from the
interface. This could be done, for instance, via a dedicated menu; I
don't think it is a good idea to put this in the Open panel.

 What do you think ?

--
Eric Petit <titer at videolan.org>