[vlc-devel] Removing deprecated decoders from CVS

Gildas Bazin gbazin at netcourrier.com
Thu Oct 2 22:37:39 CEST 2003

Hi everybody,

There are a few deprecated decoder plugins in the CVS:

- a52old: ac3 decoder from the early days of VLC. This decoder has been
deprecated for some time in favor of the liba52 based decoder. This code
likely doesn't compile anymore and also had quality problems (main reason
why we switched to liba52).

- mpeg_audio: mpeg 1 audio layer 1 & 2 decoder from the early days of VLC.
This decoder has also been deprecated for some time in favor of the libmad
based plugin (and ffmpeg is also able to decode mp1/2/3). This code should
still be working but I won't spend any time trying to port it to the new
decoders api. I would then suggest to get rid of it as well.

- mpeg_video: mpeg 1 & 2 video decoder from the early days of VLC. This
decoder isn't used anymore since the 0.6.0 release and has been replaced
with the libmpeg2 based decoder (ffmpeg is also able to decode mpeg1/2
although a lot slower). The code is still in working state and is also able
to handle 4:2:2 video streams which libmpeg2 can't deal with (although
support for this is on the way). As for mpeg_audio, I won't spend my time
porting this code to the new decoders api.

I would suggest that we remove this from CVS so as to avoid rotting code
(like the a52old one). Anybody against this ?

--
Gildas