[vlc-devel] Re: Embedded vout in Windows Mozilla

Gildas Bazin gbazin at altern.org
Thu Dec 2 07:40:07 CET 2004

On Thursday 02 December 2004 06:50, Andre Pang wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I've been playing around with VLC's Mozilla plugin in the past few
> days, and I'm really happy (and impressed!) to see that it builds and
> works out of the box.  It's especially useful if you use
> --enable-mostly-builtins, since then all the required modules are
> compiled statically into the npvlc.dll file.  Thanks heaps to everyone
> who's worked on it -- I once again have a newfound respect for VLC's
> build infrastructure.

--enable-mostly-builtins won't be enough for you (the directx module will
still be compiled as a plugin for instance). You can use --disable-plugins
for that.
Although you don't really need to disable the plugins. The mozilla plugin
looks up a registry key (written by the VLC installer) to know where all
the plugins are installed.

> Anyway, I've been trying to use the VLC plugin in the context of a
> XUL-based Mozilla application, and right now the video output on
> Windows seems to be displayed in a separate window, rather than being
> embedded in the browser window at the point of the <embed/> tag.  Is
> the video output meant to be separate on Windows right now?  I'm
> guessing it's because I'm using directx_vout to display video rather
> than wxwindows, but I'm not sure if that's right.  Any hints on getting
> it to draw in the embedded area would be appreciated!

As stated above the reason is probably that you are not using the directx
vout (which is the only embeddable vout with the opengl one).

Also I woud advise you to use the development version of VLC because a major
problem was fixed in the windows mozilla plugin (it used to crash when
destroying the plugin instance).

--
Gildas