[vlc-devel] Re: Adding extra builtins

Sigmund Augdal sigmunau at stud.ntnu.no
Sat Dec 4 13:58:21 CET 2004

On Sat, Dec 04, 2004 at 10:27:08PM +1100, Andre Pang wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I was considering adding some extra modules to be eligible as builtins
> (in particular: ogg, theora, speex, vorbis, vout_directx, aout_directx,
> glwin32).  I haven't committed the patch yet since I'm unsure whether:
>
> 1.  If there any requirements or constraints for a module to be
> considered OK as a built-in, and

Generally speaking, two things should be fulfilled for a module to be
default built-in:
1) It should be generally needed. Noone should have compelling reasons to
not want this module.
2) It should not link to external libraries.(Which is sort of overlapping
with last part of 1).

Of course there are counter examples. Like some libraries that don't work
when used from a plugin etc.

> 2.  Whether this is portable across all platforms.  e.g. will
> non-Windows platforms be OK if I add vout_directx, a Windows-only
> module, as a builtin?  Will the linker be happy if there are
> potentially symbol clashes between different modules?

Of course not. The directx modules must only be built on windows, nowhere
else. This isn't a real problem though, as they could easily be added as
builtins for windows. I think there was a symbol clash between glwin32 and
vout_directx though, not sure if it has been fixed.

> If both those things don't turn out to be problems, I'm happy to commit
> the patch I've got sitting here.

And a question at the end: Why do you want these as builtins? And do you
think everyone else agree with you on that?

Sigmund