[vlc-devel] Re: cddax vs cdda plugins

Sigmund Augdal sigmunau at stud.ntnu.no
Thu Dec 9 07:54:13 CET 2004

On Wed, Dec 08, 2004 at 09:00:52PM -0500, R. Bernstein wrote:
> Sigmund Augdal writes:
>  > Currently the cdda plugin uses the old dvd-tracks trick to add it's track.
>  > The cddax plugin should not do that. Rather if you play the entire cd (with
>  > cddax://) the plugin should run playlist_ItemToNode on it's playlist item,
>  > and then playlist_NodeAddItem() for each track on the cd. Now information
>  > about the entire cd (like album name, data ...) can be added to the node,
>  > and info about each track can be added to that tracks item. (I think only
>  > name and duration are supported now, but that should be improved in the
>  > future).
>
> The current cddax plugin in fact calls playlist_ItemToNode in
> CDDAFixupPlaylist. And it calls playlist_NodeAddItem() in
> CDDACreatePlaylistItem() of modules/access/cddax/info.c. It is in the
> playlist as a tree.
>
> But the tracks aren't in the Navigation menu and you can't either
> select the track or Next or Previous like you can with cdda as it
> currently is (and as cddax used to be in 0.7.x.)

Aren't the tracks in the playlist window? That's where their allways been in
the cddax plugin. Just that now their are sorted in a "folder" for the cd.
The next/prev bug is probably just a tiny glitch because of the playlist
rework. It will be sorted out sooner or later.

>  > For each track the duration is fetched with the ACCESS_GET_LENGTH command to
>  > pf_control.
>
> As far as I can tell, I'm doing this all correctly. I see
> ACCESS_GET_LENGTH getting called which is shown when you set in vlcrc
>    cddax-debug=4095
>
> Printing the name, size and lengths on a CD-DA I get
>
>   Track 1 27010368, 153120000
>   Track 2 25615632, 145213333
>   Track 3 24020976, 136173333
>   Track 4 22633296, 128306666
>
> and all of matches exactly the same thing I get with the cdda plugin
> when I have that do the same thing.
>
> However it doesn't get reflected down in the status in the lower-left
> of the WxWindow wereas with cdda it does. Could there be a bug
> elsewhere? Or something else that needs to be done to get this
> reflected down there?

Could be many things. Could just be that the interface doesn't catch up on
the update any more.

>  > > Is there some sort of document overview document of how to write a
>  > > complete input access plugin?
>  >
>  > No there isn't. But feel free to ask here any time.
>
> Another possibility: perhaps you could look at the cddax plugin and
> see what's wrong. If you have any questions, don't hesitate to
> ask. ;-)

I could indeed do that, when updated libraries enter debian. I'm too lazy to
both compile the libraries and investigate the code.

Sigmund