[vlc-devel] Re: cddax vs cdda plugins

R. Bernstein rocky at panix.com
Thu Dec 9 10:46:39 CET 2004

Sigmund Augdal writes:
 > On Wed, Dec 08, 2004 at 09:00:52PM -0500, R. Bernstein wrote:
 > > The current cddax plugin in fact calls playlist_ItemToNode in
 > > CDDAFixupPlaylist. And it calls playlist_NodeAddItem() in
 > > CDDACreatePlaylistItem() of modules/access/cddax/info.c. It is in the
 > > playlist as a tree.
 > >
 > > But the tracks aren't in the Navigation menu and you can't either
 > > select the track or Next or Previous like you can with cdda as it
 > > currently is (and as cddax used to be in 0.7.x.)
 >
 > Aren't the tracks in the playlist window?

Yes, that's what I intended to convey above in the part you cited.

 > That's where their allways been in the cddax plugin.
 > Just that now their are sorted in a "folder" for the cd.
 > The next/prev bug is probably just a tiny glitch because of the playlist
 > rework. It will be sorted out sooner or later.

Before the next VLC release, I request either this "tiny glitch" get
fixed or playlist_ItemToNode and playlist_NodeAddItem should be
removed to have this working the way it does in the non-libcdio CDDA
plugin which uses "the old dvd-tracks trick."

If, as you wrote previously, "the cddax plugin should not do that"
then the "glitch" needs to be fixed. But the advantage of having the
tracks of a CD be listed under a "folder" in a playlist rather than a
flat list, does not offset the disadvantage of the navigation bar and
navigation broken, and the broken time indicator inability to seek.

(Actually other things in the CD-DA like entering the Disc Meta
information seem to be broken by this change too.)

 > Could be many things. Could just be that the interface doesn't catch up on
 > the update any more.
 >

 > >  > > Is there some sort of document overview document of how to write a
 > >  > > complete input access plugin?
 > >  >
 > >  > No there isn't.

Okay, is there right now a plugin that uses playlist_NodeAddItem and
has the functionality of what a working CDDA plugin in terms of
navigation?

I see the there is "modules/access/directory.c" which uses
playlist_NodeAddItem and I guess that's for file browsing. I just
tried that and it too seems to have the same Navigation brokenness.

It doesn't have the time-indicator/seeking brokenness, but that's not
surprising. The directory module isn't complete in of itself to play
anything. It may list files, but it doesn't try to play them like a
CD-DA or VCD or DVD plugin has to do.

 > I could indeed do that, when updated libraries enter debian. I'm too lazy to
 > both compile the libraries and investigate the code.

I wish that laziness extended to not breaking things that were working. ;-)