[vlc-devel] Re: cddax vs cdda plugins

Sigmund Augdal sigmunau at stud.ntnu.no
Thu Dec 9 11:02:25 CET 2004

On Thu, Dec 09, 2004 at 04:46:39AM -0500, R. Bernstein wrote:
> Sigmund Augdal writes:
>  > On Wed, Dec 08, 2004 at 09:00:52PM -0500, R. Bernstein wrote:
>  > > The current cddax plugin in fact calls playlist_ItemToNode in
>  > > CDDAFixupPlaylist. And it calls playlist_NodeAddItem() in
>  > > CDDACreatePlaylistItem() of modules/access/cddax/info.c. It is in the
>  > > playlist as a tree.
>  > >
>  > > But the tracks aren't in the Navigation menu and you can't either
>  > > select the track or Next or Previous like you can with cdda as it
>  > > currently is (and as cddax used to be in 0.7.x.)
>  >
>  > Aren't the tracks in the playlist window?
>
> Yes, that's what I intended to convey above in the part you cited.

Which gui module are you using?

>  > That's where their allways been in the cddax plugin.
>  > Just that now their are sorted in a "folder" for the cd.
>  > The next/prev bug is probably just a tiny glitch because of the playlist
>  > rework. It will be sorted out sooner or later.
>
> Before the next VLC release, I request either this "tiny glitch" get
> fixed or playlist_ItemToNode and playlist_NodeAddItem should be
> removed to have this working the way it does in the non-libcdio CDDA
> plugin which uses "the old dvd-tracks trick."
>
> If, as you wrote previously, "the cddax plugin should not do that"
> then the "glitch" needs to be fixed. But the advantage of having the
> tracks of a CD be listed under a "folder" in a playlist rather than a
> flat list, does not offset the disadvantage of the navigation bar and
> navigation broken, and the broken time indicator inability to seek.

Off course it needs to be fixed. That was implicit in what I was saying. But
we are only that many people with only that much time. Current svn is a
_development_ version.

> (Actually other things in the CD-DA like entering the Disc Meta
> information seem to be broken by this change too.)
>
>  > Could be many things. Could just be that the interface doesn't catch up on
>  > the update any more.
>  >
>  > >
>  > >  > > Is there some sort of document overview document of how to write a
>  > >  > > complete input access plugin?
>  > >  >
>  > >  > No there isn't.
>
> Okay, is there right now a plugin that uses playlist_NodeAddItem and
> has the functionality of what a working CDDA plugin in terms of
> navigation?
>
> I see the there is "modules/access/directory.c" which uses
> playlist_NodeAddItem and I guess that's for file browsing. I just
> tried that and it too seems to have the same Navigation brokenness.
directory.c is the most relevant example to the cd module, as it to is an
access module. You also have the playlist parsers and the sap module that
does these things.

> It doesn't have the time-indicator/seeking brokenness, but that's not
> surprising. The directory module isn't complete in of itself to play
> anything. It may list files, but it doesn't try to play them like a
> CD-DA or VCD or DVD plugin has to do.
>
>  > I could indeed do that, when updated libraries enter debian. I'm too lazy to
>  > both compile the libraries and investigate the code.
>
> I wish that laziness extended to not breaking things that were working. ;-)

I did not break anything. I only tried to help you a bit. I hope future
helpful statements will not be met by claims of breaking stuff.

Sigmund