[vlc-devel] Re: MS Windows and VCD/libcdio things

Gildas Bazin gbazin at altern.org
Sun Mar 7 19:33:11 CET 2004

On Sunday 07 March 2004 17:56, R. Bernstein wrote:
> I've recently fixed up support in libcdio and vcdimager for windows 2K
> (and thus probably NT an XP). It works on win98 as well.
>
> So I believe vlc should now work with using libcdio/vcdimager cdda and
> vcd plugins. I have however have not yet been able to build vlc, for
> reasons that at present have more to with vlc than with
> libcdio/vcdimager.  More on this below.
>
> If others better versed with Microsoft Windows (and building vlc on
> that) would try out libcdio vcdimager (from CVS) I'd greatly
> appreciate it.

I'll have a look when I'll have some time. Last time I tried (about a month
ago) though to build libcdio, there where problems with libcddb and other
things I don't remember.

> Here are some things I've run into using the recently released vlc
> 0.7.1 on Microsoft Windows 2000 and cygwin.
>
> INSTALL.win32 says that vlc can be built with or without Unix
> emulation. Perhaps there is a special way to build libcdio and
> libvcdinfo without Unix emulation, but I get a link error (I think
> trying to use an printf routine) if I try without Unix emulation. So I
> tried with Unix emulation. That is *not* using this:
>   CC="gcc -mno-cygwin" CXX="g++ -mno-cygwin"
>
> when run with Unix emulation I get a number of other errors in
> configuring (e.g. dshow.h usuability, ffmpeg). Removing plugins listed
> in INSTALL.win32 is an option. One example of an error is due to a
> redefinition of struct RGNDATAHEADER between line 6009
> /usr/win32/include/strmif.h and line 2081
> /usr/include/w32api/wingdi.h.

> Commments? Lacking none, I'll probably change the bothcomment and the
> test.
>
> Another compilation error had was due to include/modules.h lack of a
> definition for "module_handle_t". This test in that file
>
> #elif defined(WIN32) || defined(UNDER_CE)
>
> wasn't true. My guess is that WIN32 is supposed to get set. What is it
> that sets WIN32?  How do folks feel about change that to:
>
> #elif defined(WIN32) || defined(UNDER_CE) || defined(HAVE_DL_WINDOWS)
>
> which is a test in config.h whereas WIN32 is not.

To be honest, building with the posix emulation layer hasn't been tested for
at least a year, mainly because there is strictly no point in doing this
since VLC for win32 (native) has been completed and stable for quite a long
time.

--
Gildas