[vlc-devel] Re: MS Windows and VCD/libcdio things

R. Bernstein rocky at panix.com
Sun Mar 7 23:41:36 CET 2004

Gildas Bazin writes:
 > I'll have a look when I'll have some time. Last time I tried (about a month
 > ago) though to build libcdio, there where problems with libcddb and other
 > things I don't remember.

Fairly recently, I was given libcddb CVS write access. I committed
some small patches I posted to libcddb bugzilla a while ago. (The
author is in the process of moving and has been out of touch for a
while. Actually something similar seems to be happening with
vcdimager)

Since libcddb is optional, I actually hadn't tried building that
earlier. But I will try it soon to get out those problems. But again,
libcddb is optional. As for the libcdio - the state of that in release
0.67 was that audio reading (needed for cdda) I think worked, however
mode1/mode2 reading (mode2 needed for VCDs) worked only for Microsoft
Windows 98 via the ASPI. Recently I added DeviceIoControl support so I
think NT, 2000, and XP are now are okay.

If you have a problem when you try, by all means let me know. I can
arrange to be on the vlc IRC during the period you might be doing
this. (Hopefully it won't be during working hours which for me is
Eastern Standard Time GMT+5 - weekends are good). I'd like to hammer
out whatever problems remain. With the 0.7.1 release over, this is as
good a time in the release schedule as any to do so.

 > To be honest, building with the posix emulation layer hasn't been tested for
 > at least a year, mainly because there is strictly no point in doing this
 > since VLC for win32 (native) has been completed and stable for quite a long
 > time.

Okay, I'll see if libcdio and vcdimager work without the POSIX
emulation layer. I imagine all I need is to add CC="gcc -mno-cygwin"?

Any coments concerning the OSS setting in configure.ac and/or using
WIN32 in the code rather than (or in addition to) say HAVE_DL_WINDOWS
which is set in config.h?