[vlc-devel] Re: set_capabilities

Derk-Jan Hartman hartman at videolan.org
Wed May 19 16:36:08 CEST 2004

On 19 mei 2004, at 10:18, Matthew Romaine wrote:
> 	Could someone explain a little about the set_capabilities macro (or
> at least point me towards a more detailed explanation)?  I'm having to
> implement a demux (for file parsing) and a codec, and I'm not sure
> what values to use for each.

It is a simple macro that defines what sort of module you are and what
priority the module has. It is required for the probing and lookup of
the modules (modules with higher priority of the same capability are
tried first).

You would write two modules.
one demux2 module for atrac file parsing, one decoder module for the
actual processing of the compressed audio.

For atrac i would choose pretty low priorities ( something between 2
and 10), since they are new, and less used then something like avi, ogg
or mpeg for instance.

> 	In the course of debugging, I have deduced that my decoder is being
> passed a decoder_sys_t that is as defined for a52 instead of my own.
> This is obviously odd.  Has anyone seen anything like this?

a decoder_sys_t is used within the decoder module, so that means that
it will use the one you defined within your module. The object is
created in the Open() of your decoder and stored in the p_sys of your
decoder_t struct.

> 	For what it's worth, I setup the logger module to output to a file,
> but after running and quitting once, VLC won't start up again (it just
> keeps bouncing on my dock).

you designated it as your primary interface, so the macosx interface
isn't working anymore. You should keep the macosx intf as the primary
interface and add the logger interface as a '--extraintf' interface.

BTW. a atrac module would rock :)

> tia,
> matt
>

> On 2004/05/19, at 15:18, Olivier Teulière wrote:
>
>> On Wed, May 19, 2004, Matthew Romaine wrote:
>>> Is there a way to get the messages window to spit to a file?  my
>>> plugin is crashing vlc and I'd like to see the message sequences to
>>> figure out where (yes, i'm a "printf debugger" :)
>>
>> Have a look at the 'logger' module, it will generate a log file (name
>> and format are configurable in the preferences of this module).
>> To enable it, the best way is to start it as an "extra interface"
>> ('vlc --extraintf logger', or you can enable it in the preferences
>> too),
>> because it still allows you to use your favourite interface in
>> parallel.
> --

----
Universiteit Twente