[vlc-devel] Re: mediacontrol interface insight

Olivier Aubert oaubert at lisi.univ-lyon1.fr
Mon Dec 12 10:14:42 CET 2005

> mediacontrol_get_media_position: this function returns 0 if the
> mediacontrol_positionOrigin value is not Absolute. I think an
> exception should be raised instead, since a
> mediacontrol_positionOrigin->value equal to 0 is a valid position
> value.
Agreed. It was just laziness on my part.

> In mediacontrol_<play|pause|etc> I don't get what the
> mediacontrol_PositionOrigin function argument should be used for. For
> example if someone pauses a stream, he's not presumably changing the
> position of the stream, so why the function should read that argument
> at all?
Ideally, it should allow to specify the moment at which the stream
should be started, paused, etc. You have to think "non-interactive"
here, where an application can decide to forecast some events, and send
them in advance in order to be sure that they are exactly respected. For
"start", it is useful to specify a starting point anyway.

It was in the original OMG Audio/Video spec, so I kept it, but it is not
implemented currently, except for a randomly working implementation in
mediacontrol_start.

> Playlist management. Some important functions are missing, such as the
> possibility to choose for an item in the list to be played, to remove
> items and so on.
Yes, the playlist API is very bare. The fact is that I cannot decide
between a set of methods of the MediaControl object, or a new Playlist
object in the module. And that I do not need such functionality anyway,
so I do not have a strong incentive to work on it.

> Status information. There should be also the possibility to get info
> about video streams (height and width for example) and some other
> general info, such as bitrate, codecs and so on.
So a get_video_information() that would return some structured
information about the video. Maybe we should have it return some kind of
generic format (XML?) holding the information, in order not to multiply
data structures in the API.

Olivier