[vlc-devel] Re: mediacontrol interface insight

Filippo Carone filippo at carone.org
Mon Dec 12 10:49:53 CET 2005

On Mon, Dec 12, 2005 at 10:14:42AM +0100, Olivier Aubert wrote:
> Ideally, it should allow to specify the moment at which the stream
> should be started, paused, etc. You have to think "non-interactive"
> here, where an application can decide to forecast some events, and send
> them in advance in order to be sure that they are exactly respected.

 Is the functionality of "in advance" events already present in VLC or
is it a task the mediacontrol interface should accomplish? Are there
any means in VLC to  it behave that way? I've seen for start you use
the code:

        var_Set( p_playlist, "start-time", val );

 where val is the time in ms. Are there already "pause-time",
"stop-time", etc, variables?

> For "start", it is useful to specify a starting point anyway.

 Sure.

> Yes, the playlist API is very bare. The fact is that I cannot decide
> between a set of methods of the MediaControl object, or a new Playlist
> object in the module. And that I do not need such functionality anyway,
> so I do not have a strong incentive to work on it.

 IMHO the minimum set of functionalities to add should be prev, next,
goto position, delete position. Since these are already present in
libvlc it is probably trivial to add them in mediacontrol as well. I
can try to add them myself.

> So a get_video_information() that would return some structured
> information about the video. Maybe we should have it return some kind of
> generic format (XML?) holding the information, in order not to multiply
> data structures in the API.

 XML would be a good thing. We need to factorize the information we
want and create a meaningful structure to contain them all.

 fc