[vlc-devel] Re: Unicast Streaming using VLC Player : How to specify local IP/Port

Rémi Denis-Courmont rem at videolan.org
Thu Dec 29 11:43:04 CET 2005

Le Jeudi 29 Décembre 2005 01:53, newbie here a écrit :
> 	Is there a means to specify the local IP/Port to which the VLC
> client/server should bind. I want to use VLC to unicast video stream
> but I want the stream to be sent out and received through a wireless
> network driver that I am developing rather than the default network
> interface. I am using Redhat9.0. I there a way to tell the VLC
> application which local port to bind to. Is there somebody who has
> done this before?

Changing the source IP/port tuple will not change the route to be used
through which the stream will be sent. Normally, only the destination
matters.

If you have to use a specific interface to send your stream, you must
have a route to the destination in your kernel that goes through said
interface.

As an example, if the destination is 192.0.2.1, and your own network
driver defines an interface called if0, you would do something like:
# route add -host 192.0.2.1 dev if0

http://www.simphalempin.com/home/