[vlc-devel] Re: RTSP restrictions on codec?

Sigmund Augdal sigmunau at stud.ntnu.no
Thu Feb 17 10:36:42 CET 2005

On Wed, Feb 16, 2005 at 09:22:43PM -0600, Neal Symms wrote:
> Where can I find out which codecs are supported for RTSP?  Presumably the
> restriction is in the livedotcom library, but my searches at live.com return
> nothing specific.  Looks like only mpeg 1/2 is supported, but like I said no
> definite list.  Does anyone know?  How about when DIV3 will be supported?
vlc do not use live.com for rtsp output. the codec list is probably
somewhere in modules/stream_out/rtp.c. At least the following should be
supported: s16b, u8, mpga, mpgv, a52, H263, mp4v, mp4a.

> Or, if all else fails, is there a way in VLC to transcode the stream
> *BEFORE* it gets to the RTSP library?  I'm working on a VoD project using
> VLC's VLM features and have some AVI's that I'd like to stream.
Yes, if you transcode on vlc it will be transcoded before reaching this part
of the code.

Sigmund

> Here's the error I get:
>
> vod_rtsp debug: created rtsp url: /prog1
> vod_rtsp debug: media has 2 declared ES
> vod_rtsp debug: - ES DIV3 (/prog1/trackid=0)
> vod_rtsp error: cannot add this stream (unsupported codec: DIV3)
> vod_rtsp debug: - ES mpga (/prog1/trackid=0)
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Neal
>
> --

Sigmund Augdal