[vlc-devel] Re: dc1394 access module

Sigmund Augdal sigmunau at stud.ntnu.no
Thu Jan 13 20:28:36 CET 2005

On Thu, Jan 13, 2005 at 01:44:49PM +0100, xant wrote:
> Hi,
> First of all i want to congratulate you for the very cool job you have done
> with vlc ... it's fantastic :)). I used vlc inside a project where video
> streaming was a primary task and  I needed it to support dc1394 camera (one
> apple iSight for example) on linux. I made it in one night and it seems to
> work correctly with my iSight camera.
> You can find detailed information on what i have done at
> " http://www.xant.net/vlc-dc1394.html "
> There you can also download and try the module.
I took a short look at the module, and it looks mainly clean and nice, but I
have two problems with it:
1) It seem to do chroma conversion inside the module. It should just set the
fourcc for the actual chroma used and let vlc select the conversion on
demand. If these conversions are not available then they should be
implemented as such. Not sure if this is what is talked about in this
comment on the web page: "(the original code made some transformation that
inside vlc are useless ... i'll document this aspect deeper if requested)."

2) It uses the variable v4l-caching incorrectly. It should define it's own
option and use that.

Also it would be nice if the mrl parsing is updated to the newer system.
Look in svn version of v4l.c for example.

Otherwise I'd say "nice work!"

Sigmund