[vlc-devel] Re: Intergrating libVLC with real-time graphics library

Robert Osfield robert at openscenegraph.com
Sat Jan 29 13:31:03 CET 2005

Hi Sigmund

On Friday 28 January 2005 14:18, you wrote:
> Vlc is very very modular, it will play several files at once, or files with
> several video streams or audio streams on nearly any combination without
> much problem.

This is good news.

> Btw, do your system have positional audio? That would be very very cool,
> but also it would require some modifications to vlcs audio output to
> support.

I personally haven't tried spatialised sound with the OpenSceneGraph, it has
been added via an on library developed by a member of the community:

	http://www.vrlab.umu.se/research/osgAL/

One would need to write a VideoLan audio output module and wire it with osgAL,
which probably along the lines of what would be needed to be done for
integrating the video output.

--

Yesteday I spent alot of time trying to compile and test out GStreamer.  It
looks promising, but boy its hard to get compiling...  even the developers

I also download xine-lib, and wow what a contrast, just compiled straight out
of the box, and xine-ui works just fine too.

I have to be careful not to make it hard it too hard for my own developer/user
community to obtain all the dependencies that a video plugin will introduce.
xine-lib appears to be front runner is this respect, second my libVLC, and a
long way third is GStreamer.   ffmpeg is possible but doesn't encompass
enough features for what we require.

For now I'll attempt an integration with xine-lib, then a little further down
the line return to libVLC as the streaming support is still something I'd
like to be able to support.

Cheers,
Robert.