[vlc-devel] Re: firewire output & fb output

Benjamin Pracht bigben+spam at videolan.org
Thu Jul 28 09:20:40 CEST 2005

On Thu, Jul 28, 2005, Vaclav Koldus wrote :
> Hi people!
>
> I'm new here so sorry I know nothing 'bout team working on such a huge
> project.
>
> I'm working on firewire output filter for VLC, cause we need it in our
> firm (I send it into D/A convertor and then into TV or Broadcasting device
> but it's not important.)
>
> I could post it or add it into VLC or something if I knew how to do it and
> if I knew how to make a new filter from scratch. At this time the plugin
> is working well, but I made it as a part of logo filter ( because I wanted
> to be able to see the video on the monitor besides the firewire output )
> but I would want to write standalone firewire filter so I can us it just
> this way:
>
> Video -> Logo Filter -> text rendering filter -> Firewire filter -> output
>
> pls can you lead me how to do it??

Well, I guess a stream output access_out module would be the most
consistent way to do that (have a look the display access output, in
modules/access_out to see how to build an access out and get the decoded
streams)

> BTW: the text rendering filter is another thing I'm working on. It renders
> aligned word wrapped text and color blended boxes on the output natively
> in YUV so I don't have to convert screen to rgb and then back in the
> filter. This I want to have also as standalone filter. So pls help howto
> start filter from scratch ?
>

> My second question is about framebuffer output filter.
>
> I suppose this filter has been untouched for a long time :)
> There is a bug in my version (some release of 0.8.2)
> I don't know who thought that something like this can work:
>
> v_out->something->i_tty=0;
> .
> .
> .
> ioctl(v_out->something->i_tty,...,..)
>

> but it don't work for me.
>
> What we need is naturaly
>
> v_out->something->i_tty = open("/dev/tty0",..);
>
> and this works. At least somehow.
>
> Problem is that the fb output is awfully slow! Why the hell? I want to use
> it
> but with this framerate I simply can't!

Well, some frame buffer device drivers (such as the vesa one) are actually
awfully slow... Which one are you using ? Do you get the same issue with
other applications ?

--
BigBen