[vlc-devel] Re: Proposed changes for SAP module

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live.com
Tue Jun 28 23:08:34 CEST 2005

> > >  Obviously, XX over RAW UDP still needs to be handled in vlc because
> > >of some bugs in live.com library...
> >
> > What 'bugs' are these?  Please explain, and I'll see if they can be fixed.
>
>Ross, these are what I've mentioned on live-devel list, i.e.
>
>- when the UDP RAW stream is not synced on TS boundaries but contains
>arbitrary number of bytes in a packet (e.g. 1472) - Vbrick etc,
>the live.com library does not accept such stream

OK, I'll try to update the LIVE.COM libraries to handle such streams better.

>- when the SDP incorrectly states TS over UDP/RAW but in fact it's a TS
>over RTP, the library starts to eat 100% CPU a hangs the application
>(as I said I don't expect it to work, but also not being a runaway process).

It's possible that the update that addresses the first issue will also take
care of this.  But as you note, if the SDP description is incorrect, it's
hard to expect the receiver to handle this properly.

>This is of course up to you as developers, whether you prefer to do RTP
>stack inhouse or use live.com library...

IMHO, it would be foolish to try to duplicate existing functionality (SDP
parsing, RTP receiving, RTCP) that's already present in the LIVE.COM
libraries.  The only *major* functionality that's currently missing from
the LIVE.COM libraries is IPv6, and that's on the 'to do' list.  (The only
reason it hasn't yet been a priority is that noone has offered to pay for
it:-)  But I realize that IPv6 is likely to be increasingly important, so
I'll see if I can allocate time to work on this sometime this (Northern
Hemisphere :-) summer.

>Anyway, what I'm proposing is
>a very simple change which could help a lot - at least temporarily,
>until you'll develop your own RTP stack if that's the intention.
>

>         M.
>

> > I'm confused.  The "LIVE.COM Streaming Media" library automatically
> handles
> > (reorders) any out-of-order incoming RTP packets.  Nothing needs to be
> > added to VLC to do this; it already works.
>

> >       Ross Finlayson
> >       LIVE.COM
> >       <http://www.live.com/>
> >
> > --