[vlc-devel] Re: Proposed changes for SAP module

Derk-Jan Hartman hartman at videolan.org
Wed Jun 29 00:46:08 CEST 2005

On 28 jun 2005, at 23:08, Ross Finlayson wrote:
> IMHO, it would be foolish to try to duplicate existing functionality
> (SDP parsing, RTP receiving, RTCP) that's already present in the
> LIVE.COM libraries.

Well, not necessarily. Something like basic SDP parsing from SAP
announces is used by a lot of ppl, but RTSP isn't used by that many
people at all (in the VLC world of MPEG2 broadcasting). Many might
prefer to have something that just receives UDP TS SAP announces and
play just those and save a couple of KB on their binaries. (think
embedded devices).

Actually, I think the biggest problem for VLC with liveMedia is and has
always been that it reimplements the udp and tcp routines of VLC. That
means code duplicity. Besides that, IF for instance we ever decided to
add statistics about network receiving etc, that livedotcom would not
benefit of such things. One way around this is take the liveMedia code
and heavily hack it to use VLCs internal routines, but since liveMedia
is still under very active development, that would be hard to maintain.

Ergo, better separation of access and demux layer is something that VLC
would very much like to see where possible in livedotcom. If VLC
network APIs need to be changed/expanded for that, then that is no
problem, as long as the general functionality of vlc improves. The
problem of course is that someone needs to take on this job. :D

Same basically goes for SAP announces and SDP generation by liveMedia I
guess. It's one of the reasons I suspect that the ffmpeg people don't
like liveMedia very much.

DJ

---
Universiteit Twente