[vlc-devel] Re: [vlc] Illegal characters in RTSP stream user/password mechanism

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live555.com
Fri Aug 11 19:19:54 CEST 2006

>I have another question. what if the SDP is retrieved from an external source.
>How should you then start your RTSPClient ? Is this only possible if
>the SDP contains the a=control:link for the mediasubsession?

I think so (e.g., the example in section 14.1 in the RTSP
specification).  However, I don't think I've ever seen such a stream
(where the server expects the client to issue RTSP "SETUP" and "PLAY"
commands, without having first done a "DESCRIBE"), and the LIVE555
library doesn't currently support this anyway (because it currently
sets up a connection to a RTSP server only when doing a "DESCRIBE").

>What if the SDP contains a UDP source

Remember that the data delivery protocol (RTP/UDP or raw UDP) is
independent of the control protocol (RTSP).  RTSP authentication - if
any - is done the same way, regardless of which data delivery
protocol ends up getting used.
--

Ross Finlayson
Live Networks, Inc.