[vlc-devel] Re: VLC adaptation for nCube streaming

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live555.com
Thu Jan 12 00:13:40 CET 2006

>As mentioned below we would be interested to extend your application for
>streaming with an nCube server. We believe there is not a huge amount of
>work to be done as the client is already functional but some tweaking is
>needed.

Clement (cc. "vlc-devel"),

VLC uses our open source "LIVE555 Streaming Media" libraries
<http://www.live555.com/liveMedia/> to implement the RTSP client
support for VLC.  These libraries already support the RTSP 'trick
play' functionality, and will likely work with nCube
servers.  However, VLC does not yet use all the features of the
"LIVE555 Streaming Media" libraries.  In particular, it does not yet
use the "scale" parameter to "RTSPClient::playMediaSession()" and
"RTSPClient::playMediaSubsession()".  (This parameter is used to
implement 'fast forward' and 'reverse play'.)

A question to the VLC developers: Is anyone currently working on
updating the VLC code (specifically, the "livedotcom.cpp" interface
code) to support this?  (If not, then I might be willing to assist
Clement's company to help make this happen.)

	Ross Finlayson
	Live Networks, Inc. (LIVE555.COM)
	<http://www.live555.com/>