[vlc-devel] Support of FASTSEEK for ftp module

Rémi Denis-Courmont rem at videolan.org
Sun Dec 23 18:24:46 CET 2007

Le dimanche 23 décembre 2007, Andrew Zaikin a écrit :
>    - libavi should not use FAST_SEEK, but normal SEEK instead (ftp
> seems to implement it). I'm not sure I understand what is the
> difference

There is no "formal" definition. FAST_SEEK is a "cheap" seek with little
or no delay, typically a local file system, typically NOT a network
protocol that requires restarting the protocol state machine, and
waiting for multiple round-trips.

> - we need to implement FAST_SEEK in ftp utilizing REST (if
> server support it)

Though I could be wrong, FTP really does not match my understanding of
FAST_SEEK.

> Can you please advise me in which direction I should follow?

Implement slow SEEK in FTP if not already done, and either fix libavi
not to seek, or to use slow seek, or if it would really need to much
seeks, keep it the way it is, and instruct people to download the file.

I would not use AVI for progressive download...

http://www.remlab.net/