[vlc-devel] Re: VoD Support for RTP over RTSP (RTP TCP) and RTSP/RTP in HTTP

Derk-Jan Hartman hartman at videolan.org
Sun Feb 25 12:01:22 CET 2007

On 22-feb-2007, at 20:12, Skye Poier Nott wrote:
> As I posted here:
>
> http://forum.videolan.org/viewtopic.php?p=100815#100815
>
> I'll soon be starting work on enhancing VLC's VoD streaming to
> support RTP over RTSP (RTP over TCP aka interleaved RTP) and
> QuickTime Player's special RTSP/RTP in HTTP tunnel. This will allow
> the VoD server to stream to clients behind NAT and behind web
> proxies. Currently, if I'm not mistaken, VLC's VoD only supports
> sending RTP/UDP to clients.

This is correct. adding TCP interleaving and HTTP tunneling is very
much on our wishlist of contributions.

> It apears the Live555 RTSP library that VLC uses already supports
> RTP over RTSP, perhaps I just need to update the bundle and add
> some new hooks. RTSP/RTP tunneled over HTTP would be new though, I
> would probably borrow some code from Darwin Streaming Server for
> that (it would need to listen on port 80 for the player fallback
> GET/POST)

Actually no. VLC does not use live555 for the server part, only for
clients.

> I have permission from my bosses to submit patches back to the VLC
> project (although it is only about 90% certain we will use VLC,
> might still go with Darwin Streaming Server).

For relaying my personal choice is DSS, however for actual generating
of streams I prefer VLC.

> If anyone else is working on this or would like to volunteer as a
> contact when I have questions about internal APIs or the "right
> place" to put new modules, hooks etc please let me know.

I do not know anyone who is currently working on this, but I do know
the parts in question, and I think I and perhaps dionoea or zorglub
would be happy to assist in answering all your questions.

IRC #videolan at freenode is always a good place to be when you have
questions, and if needed, Skype conferences can be convened.

Important source locations:
/modules/stream_out/rtp.c (live RTPS/RTP server)
/modules/misc/rtsp.c (should contain all the RTSP routines, however
currently only VoD server routines)

What needs to be done in this area:
1: add RTCP support
*last work done on this 17feb by courmisch in /trunk/modules/
access_output/udp.c
*see: Jean-Paul Saman

2: merge the RTP packetizers currently duplicated in modules/
stream_out/rtp.c and modules/misc/rtsp.c

3: add new stream_out modules that can send the RTP packets over TCP
and HTTP

Those are the major tasks that need to be done in this area.

DJ