[vlc-devel] Re: VoD Support for RTP over RTSP (RTP TCP) and RTSP/RTP in HTTP

Derk-Jan Hartman hartman at videolan.org
Mon Feb 26 23:07:04 CET 2007

On 26-feb-2007, at 20:40, Skye Poier Nott wrote:
> On Feb 25, 2007, at 03:01, Derk-Jan Hartman wrote:
>> For relaying my personal choice is DSS, however for actual
>> generating of streams I prefer VLC.
>
> Interesting, I just got some servers for testing VOD relay,
> something like:
>
> new test vod enabled
> setup test input rtsp://origin-ip/test
>
> I haven't checked if that actually works yet.
>
> I hadn't thought of mixing DSS as a relay with a VLC origin (with
> live stream or static VOD), but doesn't that restrict the number of
> formats you can relay?  Or does DSS just pass through whatever it
> gets from VLC?

No, DSS is quite a "dumb" server. It is only interested in having a
SDP and getting/sending packets on certain ports. Only when you start
feeding files to Quicktime, it starts caring about what kind of
format is in the files. Or rather, it only accepts mp3, mp4 and mov
files, whereby the mp4/mov files are required to have "hint"-tracks.

Dennis uses this technique to relay rtsp h264 generated by VLC trough
DSS servers. He let's vlc output an SDP into DSS'es SDP directory,
and the DSS server when asked for rtsp://server/yournamed.sdp will
automatically load your VLC stream from "yournamed.sdp" and pass it
along.

Works really well.

DJ