[vlc-devel] Request on the VLC Setup...

Christophe Mutricy xtophe at nxtelevision.com
Sun Jul 15 18:39:33 CEST 2007

Hello,

First this discussion should happen on vlc-deval at videolan.org. So
everybody will be kept in the loop. You'll get (hopefully) much more
answers and chances to get your patches applied.

Freaky Michi  wrote:
>    I wanna test the VLC 0.8.6 setup with some testers in different languages.
>    We can correct bad NSIS language strings easier when the VLC setup has
>    already this langauges
>    Could you activate the following languages in the next 0.8.6d nightly?
>    Please put this into the branch-0.8.6-bugfix :
>
>     !insertmacro MUI_LANGUAGE "Polish"
[...]
>     !insertmacro MUI_LANGUAGE "Romanian"

We tend to apply the changes to trunk i.e. the future 0.9.0 and backport
them to 0.8.6 branch if we ever release it.

and Marian wrote:

> as you probably already know, I would like to make a better Slovak
> translation for VLC installer. I contacted the polish translator
> (Freaky Michi) too and requested some Slovak language file, which
> is used by installer of VLC. But he answered to me, that he has no
> such language file and he oneself needs to edit polish texts for VLC
> installler.
>
> I have also now one question to you: How can we get the Slovak and
> Polish lang. files for VLC installer? If you can, please give me an
> advice or send me these files... I have at this moment only one file
> - vlc.win32.nsi - and this file is complete only in English, but I
> need some "Slovak" version of this file. Or it´s needed to make a new
> Slovak version of this file?
>
> If you can send an vlc.win32.nsi file in Czech language too, I can
> control it too, if you have interest

that's where the real problem lies. I don't know NSIS well but from what
i understand there is some localisation that you activate with the
!insertmacro MUI_LANGUAGE that will work with the standard dialogs and
buttons of NSIS but i don't know if something exist for the custom
strings we use. like for the file extension....
So if someone have gone through the nsis documentation and could send a
patches.
We can't simply translate the .nsi file in every languague and generate
a lot of different installer. we need to find a way to have it all in
one installer.

--
Xtophe