[vlc-devel] Re: build python binding from vlc binary dist (win2k)?

Olivier Aubert olivier.aubert at liris.cnrs.fr
Tue May 29 12:11:27 CEST 2007

> > Let's do it now: if any packager is reading this, could you consider
> > shipping the include/vlc directory and vlc-config script, so that it is
> > possible to build the language bindings without having to build the
> > whole tree?
> I am not a packager myself, still: it does not make much sense for a
> packager to do this so long as vlc-config is wrong (plus we should use
> pkg-config instead).
Agreed. I could have a look at it, but cannot give any estimation

>  Second, it only makes sense of the Python bindings
> are logically separated from the native source, i.e. not included in the
> normal source tarball, and not part of the normal build system.
This objection could stand if the bindings were shipped in *binary*
distributions. As it is not the case, users have to compile it
themselves, and it is a big burden to have to recompile the whole tree.
Simply providing the includes is a simple yet effective way of making
things simpler for everyone. Moreover, it would make it easier to
provide other language bindings, which would be nice to have.

Olivier