[vlc-devel] SIP for VLC

Remi Denis-Courmont rdenis at simphalempin.com
Wed Nov 7 08:55:12 CET 2007

On Tue, 6 Nov 2007 17:21:05 +0100, "Carinhas, Alexandre M"
<alexandre.carinhas at pt.verizonbusiness.com> wrote:
> I have to develop based on VLC a full SIP Client and Server, I'm a
> little rusty with my programming skills but trying to catch up. Can you
> point me to the best place to start or if there are already ongoing SIP
> projects that you could point me to?

No official activities there, though people ask about this every now
and then.

This is far from easy a task. First, you need a SIP stack, which is
quite complex a beast (but you can find some good GPL/LGPL ones as
libraries).

Then you need to rewrite the RTP stack, or rewrite the live555
bindings, to do *symmetric* RTP. VLC only support asymmetric
RTP currently, since it only cares about streaming, not VoIP.

Finally, you need to create a UI, as a media player UI is not quite
usable for VoIP.