[vlc-devel] vlc: svn commit r22437 (funman)

John Dalgliesh johnd at defyne.org
Mon Oct 8 18:40:39 CEST 2007

Hi,

On Mon, 8 Oct 2007 at 15:59 +0200, Rafaël Carré wrote:

> John Dalgliesh a écrit :
>>
>> Hi,
>> As far as I can tell, this change causes the Mac OS X (and probably
>> BeOS) build to fail. It still tries to install a faad dynamic library -
>> see the buildbot logs.
>
> macosx buildbots both fail to build, but the intel one because of
> ffmpeg, and the ppc one because of a misconfiguration of the buildbot,
> I don't see any log about faad

In the NB-XXX builds they are all complaining about faad. See e.g.
<http://buildbot.videolan.org/NB-Intel-OSX-Trunk/builds/714/step-Build%20Contribs/0>
which ends with:

install_name_tool: can't open file:
/Users/buildbot/slave/nb-intel-osx-trunk/build/extras/contrib/vlc-lib/vlc_libfaad.dylib
(No such file or directory)
make[2]: *** [.faad] Error 1

Of course when this is fixed the ffmpeg problem will resurface I know :)

>> I've attached a patch which I believe should fix it. VLC then builds
>> correctly and seems to run OK too. I tried playing an AAC file and it
>> worked and said it used the 'faad' module.
>
> In fact it is built correctly, but the macro INSTALL_NAME is here to
> manage shared libraries, and there is nothing to manage, so we juste
> remove it.

With a completely clean build (remove whole of extras/contrib and start
from scratch) it was not building for me either.

>> That said I'm not 100% sure it's correct, please check it.
>
> it's ok, i committed your patch.
>
> Thanks

Cool! Thanks.

> By the way I noticed there was a lot of places where shared libraries
> are used. We should review it, and build only static libraries when
> there is one and only one module using that lib.
>
> I'll ask details to j-b, who maintains the contribs.

OK that makes sense, because the modules are shared libraries themselves
(right?)

{P^/