[vlc-devel] osx / svn 22733 / qt4

Jean-Baptiste Kempf jb at videolan.org
Sun Oct 21 03:12:53 CEST 2007

Hello,

On Sat, Oct 20, 2007, Benjamin Sergeant wrote :
> Just give a try to compile vlc on osx. I have it running but:
Well, noone uses Qt4 in OS-X, AFAIK. it might break.

>  - I had to manually set a path for pkgconfig.
> export PKG_CONFIG_PATH=/usr/local/Trolltech/Qt-4.3.1//lib/pkgconfig
> One could do something like that to retrieve that from qmake.
>
> # [bsergean at scratchy ~]$ qmake -v
> # QMake version 2.01a
> # Using Qt version 4.3.0rc1 in /usr/local/Trolltech/Qt-4.3.0rc1/lib
> QT_PKG_CONFIG_PATH=`qmake -v | awk 'NR ==2 {print $NF}'`/pkgconfig
Hmmm, it could be done, yes.

>  - I had to modify vlc-config to replace:
>
> bad: -lQtCore -lQtGui
> good: -framework QtCore -framework QtGui
>
> And I don't know why but WebKit/webkit.h is not found, while building
> modules/gui/macosx
>
> So I did a brute force Makefile edit and removed every subdirs but qt4.
>
> Then I got vlc building.
> When I open a file, I just have the audio output, no video. I also got
> it crashed. Is there something like a raw framebuffer widget for
> displaying video, that I missed ... ?
well, it might be because noone knows (yet) how to use qt4 from VLC with
OS-X...

> Why using a custom filedialog for file open ? (instead of the default
> Qt QFileDialog::getOpenFileName)
> I personaly find the regular file dialog nicer. I noticed a single
> option, add subtitles, that could go in a preference panel.
Well, the problem is that the default QFileDialog cannot be customized
to add the options, caching, subtitles etc... and doesn't let us create
tabs for the other way of opening , like disc, network and capture.
Moreover, we need to do things with the MRL that might not be open, but
stream or convert.

> For whatever reasons, the filedialog got maximized in height, and the
> output looks quite surprising. And I cannot resize it later.
Yes, this is one of my bug that I can't fix.. .

Best,
--
Jean-Baptiste Kempf
http://www.jbkempf.com/