[vlc-devel] Speex audio in .flv container

Steven Woolley woobert at gmail.com
Fri Aug 22 22:23:35 CEST 2008

On Fri, Aug 22, 2008 at 1:07 PM, compn <tempn at twmi.rr.com> wrote:

> i think ffmpeg can only do vorbis in ogg output.
> you could try ffmpeg -i input.flv output.wav
> assuming your ffmpeg is built with speex.
> try it with the speex sample, to see if it works at all.
> http://samples.mplayerhq.hu/A-codecs/speex/talk109-q5.spx

It appears not to be built with speex, since with both my flv and the
sample above, I get:

Unsupported codec (id=86055) for input stream #0.0

>From the response on the ffmpeg list (and googling), speex support is
controversial... there are a few constants in there, etc. but I don't
see anything that would do the decoding... (not that the message above
would imply otherwise).

But VLC plays the spx example above just fine...  presumably because
it is able to read the ogg container without ffmpeg and get the stream
to decode.  So, maybe I should be trying to convert from the .flv to
.ogg somehow?

> codecs.conf isnt installed anymore, you can grab it from:
> http://svn.mplayerhq.hu/mplayer/trunk/etc/codecs.conf?revision=27473
> and put it in ~/.mplayer/

Hmm, I added it to conf and get:

Requested audio codec family [speex] (afm=speex) not available.
Enable it at compilation.
Cannot find codec for audio format 0x15027.
Read DOCS/HTML/en/codecs.html!
Audio: no sound
Video: no video

So, I am maybe getting somewhere, but unfortunately, I can't get
MPlayer to compile (at least not using macports)... so I can't really
compile with speex ;)
I'll try to get that working, but I am guessing it's not going to work out...

Thanks again for your help!
Steve