[vlc-devel] some DVD issues

Derk-Jan Hartman hartman at videolan.org
Thu Aug 28 00:50:50 CEST 2008

On 27 aug 2008, at 23:07, Cristian Secară wrote:
> 1. The very first menu title is always skipped. Usually this is the
> annoying copyright / pirating / jail, which may be handy, but it also
> skipes the title (name) of some DVDs.

Yes, this is a feature. Unfortunately it's not perfect, but personally
i kinda like it.
It's not the first title it skips btw. it depends on what is set as
root menu of the DVD, and what as title menu...

> 2. When moving the slider during a DVD play, the video freezes almost
> always. The audio continues with no problem. The slider advance
> normally as nothing has happened. No matter if the DVD is original or
> self-maded.
> 3. I happen to have a DVD (Peter Gabriel - Secret World Live) where it
> is almost impossible to click the four menu items. In the menu there
> are
> four small circles where the selected one should be slightly highlited
> than the others (which is not). Clicking dozen of times randomly over
> the menu region I may have the chance to obtain a response from one of
> the menu. I agree that the circles are relatively small, but
> anyway ...

Yeah, some DVDs have this, it's not something that we can solve as far
as I'm aware. It has to do with how the menus are designed. (remember
that you usually use a remote with a DVD).

> 4. I have a Microsoft Presenter Mouse that has a few dedicated
> media buttons: volume up/down, previous/next (chapter), play/pause.
> While I find natural for these to work fine with Windows Media Player,
> they are working fine also with PowerDVD. With VLC none is working.

patches welcome. No windows developers, means no windows features.

> 5. A strange thing happened in this particular situation:
> - at my laptop I have a brand new DVD/RW drive (one month old)
> - until today the drive was never set to any particular DVD region
> - I inserted a region 2/3/4/5/6 DVD (Phil Collins - Serious Hits...
> Live) (what an idiots to restrict a _music_ DVD)
> Now: I started VLC and tried to play the DVD; the mpeg decoding was
> a mess, like a scrambled satellite image or a defective DV tape.
> Then I started PowerDVD and tried to play the DVD; before playing,
> PowerDVD prompted to set the DVD region for my drive, which I did for
> region 2. The rest with PowerDVD in no importance.
> Going back to VLC, now with the drive's region already set to
> something,
> the DVD played (displayed) fine.

Hmm, I have not experienced something like this, but I guess when
DVDCSS fails, something like this can happen. Hard to reproduce of
course since once you set a region, you are stuck.....

> All of the above with vlc-0.9.1-win32-TEST-2.exe from jb's site.

DJ