[vlc-devel] video seeking via rtsp server

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live555.com
Thu Feb 7 18:20:47 CET 2008

>When I use VLC as a rtsp server I noticed that the seek support often
>does not work nicely.  I've read that it might be necessary to setup a
>special metadata file (ts) as input to the rtsp server.  Can someone
>comment on this further?  I thought the whole point of RTSP was that
>seeking "just works".  Is this a limitation of the live555 rtsp
>implementation or something inherent to all rtsp servers?

Marc,

The "LIVE555 Streaming Media" libraries are currently used only for
VLC's *client* implementation of RTSP.  As a RTSP client, I believe
VLC implements seeking properly.

At the server end, if you want to stream MPEG Transport Stream files
- with seeking and 'trick play' - then you might instead look at
using the "LIVE555 Media Server"
<http://www.live555.com/mediaServer/>.

>p.s., seeking etc. "just works" via HTTP.  ;)

Only for certain very simple media file types for which you can seek
by seeking directly within the file, and which are constant-bit-rate
(so that the ciient knows where to seek within the file without
knowing anything more than the file size).  In general, though, you
need media type-specific knowledge that only the server has.
--

Ross Finlayson
Live Networks, Inc.