[vlc-devel] vlc: svn commit r25242 (damienf)

Damien Fouilleul damien.fouilleul at laposte.net
Thu Feb 21 22:56:44 CET 2008

Remi,

For once in your life, please give me a practical answer to what we
really have to gain by removing argv[0] and please leave off dogmatic
theories about being right or wrong.

I only see advantages, the only constructive counter argument I got so
far is that it could confuse users which I believe can be fixed with
proper documentation (if anything, it keeps the construct similar to
main(), which should be less confusing by the way)

by providing a user configurable argv[0], a user can put a fully
qualified pathname, which is pre-prepended to modules search paths, as
it was done previously. Moreover, language bindings can also put a
meaningful names such as "python" or "java", which can only improve
debug readability.

Damien