[vlc-devel] vlc: svn commit r25242 (damienf)

Rémi Denis-Courmont rdenis at simphalempin.com
Mon Feb 25 19:07:05 CET 2008

Le Thursday 21 February 2008 23:56:44 Damien Fouilleul, vous avez écrit :
> For once in your life, please give me a practical answer to what we
> really have to gain by removing argv[0] and please leave off dogmatic
> theories about being right or wrong.

As far as I am concerned, this was already done, and you are merely trolling.

> I only see advantages, the only constructive counter argument I got so
> far is that it could confuse users which I believe can be fixed with
> proper documentation (if anything, it keeps the construct similar to
> main(), which should be less confusing by the way)

I am not going to repeat myself. I completely disagree and I am clearly not
the only one.

> by providing a user configurable argv[0], a user can put a fully
> qualified pathname, which is pre-prepended to modules search paths, as
> it was done previously. Moreover, language bindings can also put a
> meaningful names such as "python" or "java", which can only improve
> debug readability.

Like putting garbage in there will do anything except cause confusing messages
whenever argv[0] is used (and it should really not be used outside
src/vlc.c).

http://www.remlab.net/