[vlc-devel] TS files that has PCR hickups

Morgan Tørvolt morgan.torvolt at gmail.com
Fri Feb 29 21:41:38 CET 2008

>  1. Can you share the steps you use to create the TS file?
>    It would help if you generate the TS by running vlc on command line and
>    share the steps (command line) to reproduce the problem?

Sure. It happens on literally any DVD I use. I use the gui, but the
command should be something like this:
vlc --sout=#duplicate{dst=std{access=file,mux=ts,dst="test.ts"}} --sout-all

I do not set anything except file output and keep all elementary streams.

>  2. Is the problem consistent across DVDs? Is it consistent across
>     different machines/platforms (if you have access to different platforms)?

Yes, it seems to be consistent across DVDs in that it happens on
pretty much any, but not always at the same point in time from the
start of the title/chapter.
It is does happen on all platforms, that is for sure, but I am not
sure if the windows and linux versions give the exact same output. I
can try checking those two against each other.

> I would recommend that you run dvbsnoop (dvbsnoop.sf.net) on it. Use
>  the dump from this tool to look at the timestamps [ scripts helps here
>  :) ]. It also prints out a lot of other information which may help you
>  trace the problem. From what I'm looking at, I have a reasonable
>  confidence in your tool -- but it never hurts to double check.

Of course =)
I am pretty certain that what I have found is correct, because I have
been reading the bitstream pretty much bit for bit. A second opinion
would of course eliminate the poblem being a classic "pebkac", so I
will do that =)

I will do the following (please add if you feel nessesary)

1. Verify the problem with dvbsnoop.
2. Create a TS in windows and linux, and compare the results.
3. Do the DVD dump twice using linux, to check that they are the same.

I will of course post the scripts I make to let you guys make sure I
was not messing up completely.

I will get back to you with my findings.

Thanks for getting back to me so quickly.

Regards
Morgan