[vlc-devel] libvlc set parent question

jboileau jboileau at gmail.com
Mon Jan 21 18:38:17 CET 2008

Well I was using libvlc_video_set_parent and giving it an already created
window handle and it worked fine.

But what I really need and want to do now is have a child window to an
existing main window in which to play the video. I was wondering if I need
to create a window and make it a child of my main window using
media_instance_set_drawable or does libvlc creates its own window and I need
to make that window a child of my main window using libvlc_video_set_parent
or something else entirely.

I just need the VLC output window to be a child of my main window.

Thanks for your help,

Jacques

On Jan 21, 2008 12:13 PM, Pierre d'Herbemont <pdherbemont at free.fr> wrote:

> Hi Jacques,
>
> You should use media_instance_set_drawable prior to playing to set the
> window you want to draw in. That's the prefered way.
>
> libvlc_video_set_parent should probably be deprecated. It set the
> default drawable to the specified drawable for all input_thread_t, and
> eventually change it for the running media_instance.
>
>  However, this strongly depends on the video_output driver you are
> using. You should check the video_output driver to see what kind of
> drawable it expects. In your case this may be a flaw in the
> video_output driver you are using which may not support custom
> drawable. What vout are you using?
>
> Pierre.
>
> On Jan 21, 2008, at 5:49 PM, jboileau wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > Am I understanding the API correctly? libvlc_video_set_parent
> > enables to have a window parent to which the VLC window will be
> > child of. If I want access to the VLC window I use
> > libvlc_media_instance_get_drawable. That I set a parent or not will
> > always result in VLC creating the window in which it will play its
> > video. The libvlc_video_set_parent will not set the actual window
> > that will be playing the video, it only ask that the window playing
> > the video be a child of an existing window.
> >
> > --
> > Jacques Boileau

Jacques Boileau