[vlc-devel] libvlc set parent question

Pierre d'Herbemont pdherbemont at free.fr
Mon Jan 21 19:05:42 CET 2008

On Jan 21, 2008, at 6:38 PM, jboileau wrote:

> Well I was using libvlc_video_set_parent and giving it an already
> created window handle and it worked fine.
>
> But what I really need and want to do now is have a child window to
> an existing main window in which to play the video. I was wondering
> if I need to create a window and make it a child of my main window
> using media_instance_set_drawable or does libvlc creates its own
> window and I need to make that window a child of my main window
> using libvlc_video_set_parent or something else entirely.
>
> I just need the VLC output window to be a child of my main window.

libvlc does nothing regarding window management the only entry points
are the (get_|set_)drawable/set_parent, which manipulates drawable.
You want to create the child window yourself, and pass to the
video_ouput driver using set_drawable (or set_parent). If it doesn't
work you'll need to fix the vlc video_output module you are using.

Hope that helps!

Pierre.