[vlc-devel] Request for removal of commit rights

Rémi Denis-Courmont rdenis at simphalempin.com
Thu Jul 10 09:34:05 CEST 2008

On Thu, 10 Jul 2008 09:52:06 +0400, Pavlov Konstantin <thresh at altlinux.ru>
wrote:
> I believe this kind of attitude kills opensource project.

Committing crap kills the open-source project worse, albeit in a more
silent and progressive manner.

The most successful open-source project have much higher committing
standards than we do (not that we could afford to be so picky).

> Not that i have a huge contribution for videolan (especially compared to
> yours), but i should share my opinion on this matter.  VideoLAN already
> lost two main developers because of that and we definitely dont want to
> lose any other.

I am not my code. You are not your code. JP is not his code. If one cannot
separate one's ego from one's code, it is better to not be a programmer,
especially not an open-source one.

Especially professional developers are not their code. You would expect
them to have higher standards. My experience, as both an open-source
volunteer, an hobbyist (doing custom code for my own self), and a
professional, is that business pressure often do not mix well with quality
and "principles". That is not something the VideoLAN project will change.

Once code is merged, there is no lever on anyone to force the author to fix
it. In fact, there is usually strong incentive not to fix it. Besides, now
that we have git, people can make significant contributions _without_
commit rights.

Objecting is easy for you to object. What are you doing to fix the problem?